because I spelled awful wrong in my last post!!! I DO know how to spell it but I wanted you to know that I know how to spell it.
Now that I have that off my chest, I actually do feel awful today. I am currently blogging from the hospital. I was admitted this morning. I woke up on Monday morning with severe pain on the lower left-hand side of my abdomen. It was such a sharp pain that I thought maybe it was a gas bubble that was stuck. When it didn't improve after several hours, I thought maybe it was because I am so constipated from the prenatal vitamins. So I did everything I could think of to make myself go to the bathroom and I did, several times. However, the pain never moved and never went away. Hour by hour it just got worse and worse. Finally took some Tylenol and forced myself to go to sleep last night. I woke up at 3am in excrutiating pain. The worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Worse than being in labor with Max after my water broke. It was a sharp, stabbing, throbbing pain in my extreme lower left side. I could barely walk and could not stand up straight and COULD NOT find any comfortable way to sit or lay that would take away the pain. I finally woke up Adam around 5am and asked him to take me to the hospital. I know that I have a lower tolerance for pain than most, but I truly thought if you could die of pain, I was going to. It was that bad.
Adam drove me to the ER at Bethesda North. Eventually they drew blood, took urine samples, and performed an ultrasound. They also gave me an IV with Morphine (pain med) and Phernergan (nausea med) which did NOTHING for my pain level. The ultrasound showed both babies with nice strong heartbeats...Thank God. The urine tests showed that there was a lot of blood in my urine. So it was determined that I have a kidney stone(s). They admitted me and are giving me IV fluids, Demerol (pain med), and Phergan (nausea med). The Demerol is working pretty well at controlling my pain as long as they give it to me every 2 hours. They were giving it every 3 hours and the last hour of that 3 was horrible. So Dr. A finally changed it to every 2 for me and I have been pretty comfortable ever since then.
They are having me pee in a basin so they can strain out any stones that I pass. Nice, huh? But I am mostly just sleeping because I can't sit up comfortably yet. Dr. A said if I wake up tomorrow and my pain level is better, then we can try oral meds rather than IV meds. If that is successful then I will be allowed to go home.
As sucky as all of this is, I am so grateful that our babies are doing ok. I'm certain that they are drunk as hell in there (sorry babies) but the doctors assured me the meds are safe for use in pregnancy.
So that is my story for today. Never a dull moment in our house I guess. I will update again soon. If you have gotten this far into the novel I just wrote, I commend you. Thanks for reading!
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was so happy to see a new post - but I'm so sorry it has to be about you feeling so yucky!! I'm glad to hear all is under control and you're on the mend but I'm so sorry it's been such a rough few days. If anything you certainly deserve a stretch of peaceful, pain and stress free days. I hope they come soon for you!!! Above all, glad to hear all is well with the babies.
ReplyDeleteOh Court....I don't even know what to say! How awful! I am glad that you know what is going on and that there is an end in sight...and most importantly, you and the precious little ones are doing just fine! I hope you get to come home tomorrow...keep us updated.
ReplyDelete