So, let's talk about what an "expanded blastocyst" is. This would be the stage of an embryo just before hatching. Here is a picture of what a high-quality expanded blastocyst would look like. Note: this is not Billy or Harry.

We are around day 6 in the life of an embryo, which brings us to the "hatching" phase. Here is a picture what a hatching blastocyst would look like.

Shortly after hatching, the blastocyst begins "implantation" into the uterine lining. This is, officially, when conception occurs. Here is a picture of a fully-hatched blastocyst that is ready for implantation. The mass of cells seen at approx 3-4 o'clock is what will become the fetus. The cells seen around the "border" of the blastocyst, will become the placenta, that will nourish the fetus.

Thank you for attending my Embryology 101 lecture for today.
I do not have anything else to report at this point, other than that Adam is still giving me my PIO (progestrone in oil) injections every night. It is a big-fat 1.5" 22g needle that goes in my butt cheek every night. It is not fun and they make my a$$ really sore. We heat the oil up before hand, and use a heating pad afterwards, and we also rotate cheeks. But it does not seem to help the pain all that much. I do not care though, if it helps me sustain a pregnancy, I am all for it!
I appreciate the lecture Court! This is very very good news.
ReplyDeleteThank you for explaining what expanded blastocyst means and for the pic's.( you know when I read that I was like??? what does that mean? LOL) The process is truly amazing and why they call it the miracle of life! We are so happy for you and cannot wait to hear more updates on your progress. God is so good!
ReplyDeleteI have to admit my low level of maturity and tell you that "rotating cheeks" totally made me laugh out loud at work.
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear all the good news... keep it coming!!!
Courtney, I am very happy for you and Adam! It sounds like things are going as planned. Everytime I login I learn something new from you. You have done such a good job of keeping us all informed and you are a great writer. I agree with Victoria that you really should do
ReplyDeletea blog!
Hang in there and hope the butt cheeks feel better.